Agenda and minutes

Contact: Partnerships and Communities Team  0300 330 7000 e-mail:

No. Item


Welcome, introductions and apologies pdf icon PDF 75 KB

Additional documents:


Matthew welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Round table introductions.

Attendees: Matthew Toresen (Chair), Aimee Luck (NBC) Sgt Rod Williams (Police), James, Robin, Phil, Jonathon, Benny, Liz and Cat (Q Film), Will, Morcea, Matthew, Zach (QSpace/Trangst).

Apologies: Cllr Anna King, Cllr Zoe Smith, Steve Bedford (Police), Lucy somers (IDidAdventure).


Minutes and matters arising


Action: Matthew to follow up with Umbrella Fair re Pop up events.


Action Plan Setting



Recurring action plan items include civic events for International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBiT) and World Aids Day.


The forum discussed having another Pride event this year. Aimee has contacted USA contacts but unfortunately they are not able to link up this year due to hosting a wedding as part of their event.


Forum members are invited to put themselves forward to be part of a steering group to set up a Pride event in Northampton. Action: Interested people to contact Aimee who will coordinate an initial meeting.
Action: Matthew to find out dates from W’boro and Kett Prides for info.


Carnival – 8th June (Good opportunity to advertise events). Cllr King and Morcea Walker (carnival organiser) have arranged for the forums to have a float again this year. Members from all forums and associated organisations will be invited to be part of the carnival float. The theme for carnival is ‘15 years of celebrating magic through carnival’.


Matthew proposed adding Book Fest to the action plan, agreed by forum. Cat explained the vision for book fest, a previous event reignited, to be hosted at Umbrella Fair (end of Sept). They are currently setting up a group to progress the event which is funding dependant. Funding opportunities are being explored and the group are looking for author and speaker suggestions particularly around diverse backgrounds and sexualities. Suggestion to link in with Happy Hood for local writers. Action: Aimee to forward contact details to Cat.

Social media and website is in progress but can be contacted by email at this stage,




Community Information Exchange


Northants Police:
New Hate Crime coordinator in post, Yemi Holman. She is supporting to train hate crime champions across the county. If anyone is interested in becoming a hate crime champion or finding out more please speak to Rod at the end of tonight’s meeting or email the forum.

Hate Crime document shared with the group does not breakdown incidents into LGBT. Rod provided additional statistics: Sexual orientation: 72 offences recorded in 2017 (6/month), 60 offences recorded (2018), 17 transgender offences in 2017, 18 transgender offences in 2018. These figures are low in comparision to other groups- why? Police would like some feedback around under reporting on LGBTQ hate crime offences. Floor opened up for feedback, captured below:

·         Lack of understanding of LGBTQ people from Police on one reporting example- individuals last report was dealt with by a new female officer and was handled well. The male officer supporting seemed to find it harder to understand and handle.

·         Lack of feedback from reporting- no idea whether someone is arrested or if the report is not being dealt with.

·         Hard to report strangers when trying to keep safe and avoiding perpetrators.

·         Feeling that there is no reason to report- what is going to be done with the report? Will it make any difference?

·         Would like reassurance that some action will be taken or what is being done by the Police as this is missing.

·         Assumption that verbal attacks are not bad enough to report and physical attacks are the only thing that will be taken seriously/actioned.

·         Length of time around 101 calls and to see any Police.

·         Promotion of Hate crime info may have raised expectation of public when the resource is not there to deal with it.

·         Many have grown up with hate incidents and don’t feel it is serious enough despite being affected by it daily or regularly.

·         The offer of talking to someone about it would be helpful. Lack of support service with understanding of LGBTQ community.

·         Fear of being outed can be a factor as it is unclear where the information goes.

·         Lack of understanding around language in the LGBTQ; eg. Correct pronouns.

·         Spectrum is not seen to be active and involved in the community- lack of presence from police in LGBTQ communities.

·         Suggestion that a number of LGBTQ officers do not feel comfortable reporting. If they do not believe in the reporting system how can public.

·         Transphobic messages are out in the public and social media, and are seemingly allowed which doesn’t help invoke faith from LGBTQ community.

·         Community being asked to trust an organisation that they may not have faith in now.

·         One individual has experienced a number of Eastern European perpetrators. Are issues with lack of understanding from other nationalities being dealt with by Police?


Query regarding whether Northampton compares to other towns of similar sizes. Action: Rod to compare stats for Northampton against other towns and report back to the forum.


Forum member expressed a positive experience coming out as transgender and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.


Any Other Business


Items for Future Meetings


Date Of Next Meeting


Next social meeting Tuesday 26 March, 6.30pm at Phipps Albion.