Agenda and minutes

Venue: The Holding Room, The Guildhall, St. Giles Square, Northampton, NN1 1DE.

Contact: Alice Morgan  0300 330 7000 e-mail:

No. Item


Welcomes, introductions and apologies pdf icon PDF 185 KB


Present: Co- Chair Martin De Rosario (MD), Alice Morgan (NBC, AM), Barbara Barber (Individual, BB), Larry Barber (Individual LB), Graeme Wilson (GW), Barbara Stewart (Individual BS), Cllr Ashraf (RA), Carl Weininger  (Polio CW), Cllr King (AK), Nisha Mejer (NBC NM), Emily Gibbins (Olympus Care Services EG), Pedro Santos (Olympus Care Services PS), J Forrest – Smith (Individual JFS)




James O’Neill, Michael Jackson, Cllr Davenport, Cllr Larratt, Simon Burgess, Beverley Mennell, Shopmobility


MD opened the meeting and welcomed everybody.




Minutes and Matters Arising pdf icon PDF 74 KB


Minutes were recorded as to true to record.



Nominations for Co-Chair


AM thanked MD for Chairing the Forum. AM invited MD to stand again if he wished to do so.  The rest of the forum members were invited to stand as Chair. The deadline to nominate is 18th November.


ACTION: NM to email the forum to let everyone know.


Emily Gibbins - Olympus Care Services. Assistive Technology Service


PS gave a presentation about the Olympus Care website in particular a “virtual house.” This is designed to provide a clearer understanding of how assistive technologies can help people to live more independently at home.


Free assessments are carried out to establish what is required. People can ring 01604 366 000 or go online


PS went through various products that the organisation offers.


For example there are devices which raise alerts when somebody falls. The fall detector is worn around the neck. There are medication dispensers and devices that remind patients when to take medication.


RA: Can the devices help children?


PS: Devices are for people of all ages.




Shopmobility - update


·         Shopmobility have sent their apologies

·         Shopmobility are still awaiting the outcome of their grant to NCF (£10k), have been asked for more info which they have supplied, will know the final decision at the beginning of October.

·         Our small grant application will be decided at the panel on 21st September (£3k)

·         Meeting to be arranged in the next couple of weeks with Oakley Healthcare re: future model/way of working, who are keen to support.



Action Plan pdf icon PDF 251 KB


AM: Chief Constable will be hosting an event on 10th November. NBC will be having a stall at this event and AM and NM will be promoting the forums.


AM: Hate Crime Week is 8th – 15th October. Survey carried out. Working with partners to work on this project.


10th Oct – Hate Crime Inter Forum Afternoon Tea. All invited. Object to recruit Champions.


Staff training on Hate Crime in NBC.


Independent Day with People with Disability – The venue is Weston Favell Shopping Centre on 3rd December. 11am – 3pm.


Need dedicated spaces for parking.  Can approach Tesco for support.


ACTION: AM to ask for stallholders. Priority to forum members.


It was decided to have the event where the greatest footfall is rather than large space.


ACTION: Check space for Disability Day.







Community Information Exchange


AM: Public Spaces Public Order consultations end 23rd Sept.


CW: British Polio Foundation would like to work with other groups. Day Trip organised 19th September.


GW: Ellie Robinson won gold medal at the Olympics.


Sports Award on 20th October. Nominations can be taken.


Jogging group organised for people who are deaf.


Jogging group for Mencap at Delapre Park.


BS: Roadrunner event at Abington Park.


Cllr A: Food collection 2-7pm on Saturday on behalf of Helping Hands and City of Sanctuary.




Items for Next and Future Meetings


Karen Wheeler – Impact of PIP on GPs.

Diabetes awareness.





AM: Event calendar to be sent to forum.


Meeting changed to 24th November due to International Men’s Day being held on the same day.


Date of the Next Meeting



25th November The Guildhall, 10.30am – 12:30pm.